Peabody Energy Corporation (NYSE:BTU)
May 17th, 2019
Amidst falling markets Peabody Energy Corporation fell ($1.50) Friday, a 5.33% drop, closing at $26.62. As well as the drop in value, Peabody Energy Corporation hit a new 52 week low of $26.53, breaking the previous low of $26.61 from earlier this month. Be aware that the Altman Z-Score1 (An indicator of the probability for a 2-year bankruptcy) is below the recommended threshold of 1.8%, and calculated to be 1.74.
BTU was outperformed by the rest of the Energy sector which went down only -1.06%.
Expectations from 9 analysts points to the possibility that Peabody Energy Corporation might increase significantly (42.25%), while Finbox has calculated (with high uncertainty) a fair value price of $34.71.
The market sectors were mixed Friday with a majority of the sectors trending down. Utilities saw the biggest increase of the day (0.55%), while Energy saw the biggest drop (-1.06%). Information Technology has seen the biggest year-to-date gain at 22.31%.
Utilities saw the biggest turnaround from its 5-day performance of 2.42%, as it went up 0.55%. Energy and Materials experienced turn arounds from their five day positive performances, Energy with drops of -1.06%.
- Utilities went up with a 0.55% change.
- Healthcare went down with a -0.10% change.
- Consumer Staples went down with a -0.16% change.
- Real Estate went down with a -0.36% change.
- Communication Services went down with a -0.45% change.
- Financials went down with a -0.46% change.
- Consumer Discretionary went down with a -0.46% change.
- Materials went down with a -0.68% change.
- Information Technology went down with a -0.88% change.
- Industrials went down with a -1.05% change.
- Energy went down with a -1.06% change.
Peabody Energy Corporation Info
Peabody Energy Corporation engages in coal mining business. The company operates through Powder River Basin Mining, Midwestern U.S. Mining, Western U.S. Mining, Seaborne Metallurgical Mining, Seaborne Thermal Mining, and Corporate and Other segments. It is involved in mining, preparation, and sale of thermal coal primarily to electric utilities; mining bituminous and sub-bituminous coal deposits; and mining metallurgical coal, such as hard coking coal, semi-hard coking coal, semi-soft coking coal, and pulverized coal injection coal. The company supplies coal primarily to electricity generators, industrial facilities, and steel manufacturers. As of December 31, 2018, it owned interests in 23 coal mining operations located in the United States and Australia; and had approximately 4.9 billion tons of proven and probable coal reserves and approximately 500,000 acres of surface property through ownership and lease agreements. The company also engages in direct and brokered trading of coal and freight-related contracts, as well as provides transportation-related services, which involve financial derivative contracts and physical contracts. Peabody Energy Corporation was founded in 1883 and is headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. On April 13, 2016, Peabody Energy Corporation and its subsidiaries filed a voluntary petition for reorganization under Chapter 11 in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Missouri.
All amounts in USD unless otherwise indicated
(1) The Altman Z-Score calculation was first published in 1968 by Edward I. Altman, and is used for predicting the probability that a firm will go into bankruptcy within two years. An Altman Z-Score below 1.8 (Remember that Peabody Energy Corporation’s score is 1.74) is the trigger to be alert for this situation. Some analysts believe this score is less relevant for some companies, in particular companies operating to accumulate users that may run at huge losses to scale up.
Media Gazelle Inc (MG), a Nevada Corporation, owns and operates the online brand US Tribune News. MG does not offer financial advise, and is not a registered broker/dealer/analyst/adviser, holds no investment licenses, and may not sell, offer to sell or offer to buy any security. MG’s market updates, news are not a solicitation or recommendation to buy, sell or hold securities. MG shall not be held liable for any investment losses you may incur by using the information provided, this includes you trading the stocks mentioned on our sites. We recommend you talk to a financial adviser before trading any securities or taking any action based upon information on this site. MG does not guarantee the accuracy of the article.